- Getting Started
Key Course Information
Course Grading Scheme
How to Navigate This Course
Offline Course Videos for Blocked YouTube Users
Cloud Environments Introduction
Cloud Environments Instructions
Launch Cloud Environment
- Lesson 1 - Gaining Administrator Access
Knowledge Check: Gaining Administrator Access
- Lesson 2 - Introduction to PI Data Archive
What are Identities, Mapping, & Trusts? (High Level PI Server Security Map)
Data Archive Security Deep Dive Map - Security Areas, Defaults and Customization
- Lesson 3 - Online Courses's Example Security Model
Demo of Custom Data Archive Security Plan in Action
Knowledge Check: Who and What Else Needs Access?
- Lesson 4 - Configuring Security
Configure Overall PI Data Archive Security for Users and SDK Applications
Knowledge Check: Granting User and Application Access
Setup Custom Security on PI Points for Both Users and Applications
Knowledge Check: Granting Access in Bulk
Configuring Minimum Permissions for PI Interfaces and Buffering
Knowledge Check: Securing Interface Access
Disable the Least Secure Authentication Options on Your Data Archive
Configure Windows Credentials for a Workgroup Interface Machine
Knowledge Check: Granting Access From Outside a Domain
Create, Map, and Grant Permissions to Custom Identities in AF Server 2015
Knowledge Check: Selectivity Secure AF Elements
- Lesson 5 - Troubleshooting Security Issues
Basic Data Archive Security Troubleshooting - Check Common Errors and User Authentication
Advanced PI Data Archive Security Troubleshooting - Check Connections/Permissions in PI SMT
- Lesson 6 - Create a Custom Security Plan
Create a Custom Security Plan with out Online Course Security Plan Worksheet
- Final Exam
- Course Evaluation
How did it go?
- Next Steps
End of the Course
Configuring PI Data Archive Security
Learn how PI Identities and PI AF Identities are mapped to applications and active directory accounts and how custom permissions are configured for each of these identities
In this course, you will learn the skills necessary to configure security on the PI Data Archive using OSIsoft best practices. Specifically, you will learn how to create the PI Identities and assign them custom permissions on different areas of the PI Data Archive corresponding to the security needs of your users. Additionally, this course will over how to tighten down your security model to allow the minimum permissions needed for users and applications.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Create a custom PI System security plan that makes sense for your PI System.
- Enable PI API and PI SDK applications to connect to your PI System.
- Create security identities with minimal PI System permissions.
- Map your incoming PI System connections to appropriate PI System identities.
- Troubleshoot common authentication, permission, and connection problems.
This course is best suited for a PI System administrator who is responsible for setting up and maintaining how users and applications connect and authenticate with the PI System. It is designed to help perform security-related administrative tasks as well as introduce the tools available for common security management.
Study Time: 12 hours
Course Access: Unlimmited access. The only exception is the Training Cloud Environment for which you have 30 day access. After those 30 days you can purchase additional access with one of the two options below:
- Basic knowledge of Windows Active Directory users and groups.
- PI System Basics: typical PI System components and architectures, understanding PI Points, searching PI points.
- A computer that can access our YouTube content, and pass our connection test
Students without prior knowledge of the PI System should review Chapter 1: PI System Basics of the PI System Administration workbook.
This Course Includes...
- Videos, exercises and quizzes to help you learn the material
- A Cloud Environment accessible for 30 days and configured to complete all the exercises in the course
- Sharable certificate of completion
- This is a self-paced course. Any questions or assistance needed about the material can be asked in this course's space in the OSIsoft PI Square community
- When you complete the examination at the end of the course, you will receive a certificate of completion which can be shared and directly posted on LinkedIn.
- For more information about our Online Courses please visit our FAQ page
You can audit the full video lecture content right now on the OSIsoft Learning YouTube Channel