- Getting Started
Key Course Information
Course Grading Scheme
Final Project Submission Deadline
How to Navigate This Course
Offline Course Videos for Blocked YouTube Users
- Lesson 1 - Introduction to CBM and the PI System
What is Condition Based Maintenance (CBM)?
Objectives and Examples of CBM
Steps to Enable CBM with the PI System
Notes on Knowledge Checks
Knowledge Check: Asset Maintenance Strategies in Your Organization
CBM Methodologies with the PI System
Identify set Candidates for CBM
Knowledge Check: Select CBM Methodologies for Your Asset
- Lesson 2 - [Optional] Asset Based PI Example Kit
Introduction to the Asset Based PI Example Kit - Pump Condition Based Maintenance
- Lesson 3 - Deep Dive into Sample Pump CBM Logic in AF
Identify and Contextualize Key Process Variables
PI System Capabilities Summary
Knowledge Check - Describe an Asset Based PI Example Kit
- Lesson 4 - [Optional] Refresher on Asset Analytics
Configuring Analytics Review
- Lesson 5 - Visualize Real-time Conditions with the PI System
Create Real-time Asset Condition Indicators in PI Vision
Knowledge Check - Create a PI VIsion Dashboard to Monitor Asset Health
Visualize and Compare Fleet-wide Asset Health in PI DataLink
Knowledge Check - Build a PI DataLink Report to Compare Asset Performance
Monitor Out-of-band Asset Conditions using Event Frames
Knowledge Check - Enhanced Condition Based Monitoring with Event Frames
Knowledge Check - What Could be Added to Your AF Structure?
- Lesson 6 - Alert and Notify
Configure Basic Notifications for Pump Condition Based Monitoring
Knowledge Check - Configure Notifications to Alert Certain Conditions
Generate Notifications with a Dynamic URL for PI Vision Displays
Knowledge Check - Add a Dynamic URL to Notifications
Acknowledge and Visualize Notifications in PI Vision
Knowledge Check - Review, Acknowledge and Comment on Notifications in PI Vision
- Lesson 7 - CBM Takeaways
Additional Opportunity for Business Value
- Final Project
- Course Evaluation
How did it go?
- Next Steps
Additional Resources of CBM
Enabling Condition Based Maintenance (CBM)
Learn how to use various components of the PI System to enable a successful Condition Based Maintenance (CBM) implementation
The objectives of the course are to help your organization eliminate unnecessary maintenance, minimize unexpected failures, maximize use of resources, increase reliability and availability, and extend the lifetime of various assets using the OSIsoft PI System.
In this course, you will learn how to use AF templates, Event Frames and Asset Analytics to implement advanced logic to evaluate your equipment's health, as well as how to use Notifications to receive automated alerts based on deviations in your process data. Additionally, you'll see how easy it is to use tools like PI Vision and PI DataLink to visualize important information about your equipment and make informed maintenance decisions.
*No 3rd party Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) integration is covered in this course.
By the end of the course, you will be able to:
- Describe CBM methodologies with the PI System
- Identify and contextualize key process variables in AF
- Create real-time asset condition indicators in PI Vision
- Monitor asset conditions using Event Frames
- Configure notifications for asset monitoring
- Link notifications to PI Vision displays
Audience: This course is primarily suited for maintenance engineers, process engineers and reporting analysts who are considering implementing a condition-based maintenance (CBM) strategy.
Time: 16 hours
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of the Asset Framework, Asset Analytics and PI Client Tools (PI Vision and PI DataLink). If you are not familiar with these topics, we encourage you to take these courses before:
- Building Asset Hierarchies with PI AF
- Configuring Analytics with PI AF
- Creating Basic Reports with PI DataLink
- 259 USD: By signing up for this course you will have access to:
- OSIsoft Engineers who can review your final project
- Sharable certificate of completion that can be directly posted on LinkedIn (*To obtain the certificate of completion, you need to pass the final project.)
You can also audit the video lecture content on the OSIsoft Learning YouTube Channel. This does not include the exercises, supplementary readings, graded final project or certificate of completion.
We highly recommend each learner to use their own software and their own data structures throughout the exercises and to complete the final project. This allows the learner to leave the course with something immediately valuable in their enterprise. This course will NOT cover the installation of the AF Server or PI client tools, so students who want to work with their enterprises' data need to ensure they have the followings before registering for the course:
- Access to an Asset Framework (AF) Server with the PI Analysis Service and Notifications
- Access to an AF database with read/write permissions (to create elements, attributes, analyse, notifications etc.)
- Installation of PI System Explorer (PSE) with Asset Analytics Plug-in
- Access to visualization tools such as PI Vision and PI DataLink are highly encouraged
- Read access to PI Point data on their organization's PI Data Archive
- [Optional] Permissions to create PI Points and write data to them
If you do not have access to your own PI System, subscribe to the optional Training Cloud Environment to work with the "PI System Clients - Cloud Environment"
Grading and Certification of Completion: Once you register for this course, you must select one of the final submission review periods below. During this period, our course facilitators will be available to review and grade your project. If you don't receive a passing grade in the first submission, you can re-submit your work again during the 1 week review period.